150 - 8518 Glenlyon Parkway, Burnaby, British Columbia, V5J 0B6
Take ownership and find more ways to care about our local store owners in a career at Shoppers Drug Mart Central Office / Store Support. Provide great service, specific expertise and actionable advice to support Associate-Owners and their staff in delivering the best health, beauty and convenience services to Canadians.
Why this role is important?
Specialty Health Network (or SHN, as we call ourselves) is a growing division of Shoppers Drug Mart, with a strong entrepreneurial spirit. We pride ourselves in having an awesome work culture and fun environment! We offer competitive salaries, a great benefit package, Shoppers Drug Mart discount, Goodlife gym discount, RRSP/Pension plans, Employee share ownership plan, professional training and development and many more perks!
Shoppers Drug Mart was acquired by Loblaw in 2014, the largest employer in Canada – making your career opportunities within our larger organization - endless!
The primary responsibility of the Pharmacist is coordinating all activities involved in dispensing medications from the SDM Specialty Health Network (SDMSHN) Pharmacy to patients in compliance with provincial and federal pharmacy regulations and in accordance with established corporate procedures. As a patient-oriented professional, the pharmacist is responsible for providing medication support services to fulfill the health care needs of each patient. The pharmacist is also required to provide all professional services within scope of pharmacy practice to support SDMSHN patients.
Nature and Scope
The Pharmacist will adopt a patient-centric approach, and use his/her professional knowledge and experience to ensure that SDMSHN patients successfully achieve all desired outcomes of treatment.
He/she will coordinate the timely dispensing of medications to SDMSHN patients. The Pharmacist will communicate effectively with patients regarding SDMSHN Pharmacy services and work collaboratively with physicians, nurses, pharmacists and other parties involved in providing care and support to the patients. The Pharmacist will provide professional services within scope of pharmacy practice to support SDMSHN patients as appropriate.
What you will do:
- Adopt patient centric approach to ensure that patients successfully achieve all desired outcomes of
- Coordinate all activities in the SDMSHN Pharmacy related to prescription dispensing, including:
o Prescription review for therapeutic appropriateness and accuracy, including drug interaction
o Patient counselling and education, including side effect management
o Entering information into software systems
o Ensuring correct billing
o Scheduling medication delivery or pickup with patients
o Verification during different stages of sterile compounding and the final preparation
o Completing the final check on medication compounded or dispensed, including labeling and
o Monitoring medication use and adherence
o Safe handling and disposal of medications
- Utilize professional judgment, pharmacy resources and SDMSHN Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) as the basis for resolving medication related issues
- Develop and maintain specialized knowledge of drug therapy and medication compatibility, stability and interactions as they pertain to SDMSHN Programs
- Respond to information requests from customers, other health disciplines and SDMSHN personnel related to drug information and pharmacy practice for all SDMSHN Pharmacy related products and services
- Lead on medication safety and ensuring appropriate medication use by patients
- Develop and maintain proficiency in the relevant pharmacy computer systems to optimize productivity
- Financial stewardship, billing accuracy, managing third party compliance and audits
- Maintain accurate and complete prescription and patient care records
- Maintain privacy and confidentiality according to provincial and federal regulations
- Develop and update pharmacy training resources as required
- Participate in the training of new employees
- Ensure Required Operating Procedures (ROPs) and SOPs requirements are incorporated into daily
procedures and correctly followed by staff in the execution of all duties
- Supervise pharmacy staff including pharmacy technicians and assistants
- Cleanroom activities include, but are not limited to:
o Supervise preparation of sterile products in cleanrooms
o Supervise cleanroom activities, and participate in quality assurance programs
o If needed, perform sterile compounding using aseptic technique
- Report all Adverse Events (AE) and Product Technical Complaints (PTC) immediately or as soon as possible upon becoming aware of the event as per current policies and procedures.
- Support SDMSHN program launches, special projects, and cross-functional initiatives
- Demonstrate teamwork, engagement, and apply Blue Culture and Core Values in all interactions
- Assist the Specialty Pharmacy Manager in the performance of his/her responsibilities and assume
additional duties as directed
What you will need:
- Minimum of university undergraduate degree in pharmacy
- Licensed in the province of practice in Part A of the registry
- Injection certified in the province of practice
- Minimum one (1) year of relevant pharmacy experience in community, hospital, or specialty pharmacy
- Previous sterile (hazardous and non-hazardous) compounding experience an asset
- Knowledge of USP797/USP800/NAPRA Standards an asset
- Experience and/or knowledge of specialty pharmaceuticals & biologics an asset
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Strong interpersonal and leadership qualities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to work under stress, with short lead times, and changing customer demands with short
- Knowledge of Pharmacy software systems and MS Office Applications
- Bilingual in French and English is an asset
- Flexible and adaptable to changes of responsibility reflective of business needs
- Overtime/On Call may be required
Why work at Shoppers Drug Mart?
Acting as consultants, supporting internal customers and the Associate-Owners, you will get experience unique to the retail industry while working for an award-winning national brand. Benefit from a purchase discount program, competitive pay and online learning through SDMU.
Take ownership of your work and find more ways to care about your work, co-workers, customers and community.
How You’ll Succeed:
At Shoppers Drug Mart Inc. , we seek great people to continually strengthen our culture. We believe great people model our values, are authentic, build trust and make connections.
If that sounds like you, and you are open-minded, responsive to change and up to the challenges provided in a fast-paced retail environment, apply today.
Type of Role:
Shoppers Drug Mart Inc. recognizes Canada's diversity as a source of national pride and strength. We have made it a priority to reflect our nation’s evolving diversity in the products we sell, the people we hire, and the culture we create in our organization. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired.
In addition, we believe that compliance with laws is about doing the right thing. Upholding the law is part of our Code of Conduct – it reinforces what our customers and stakeholders expect of us.
If you have Employee Self Service (ESS) on Workday, apply to this job via the Workday application.