1 June 2020
Permanent - Full Time
Garage 3 - Orr Lake, ON L0L 1P0 CA (Primary)
Responsible to act on behalf of the Roads Foreman during the absence thereof, ensuring staff adherence to policies and procedures; verifying that facilities, equipment and vehicles are maintained; and communicating issues to staff that may affect operational efficiency. Monitor operations to ensure efficient and effective service is maintained at all times. Maintain open and clear communications with staff regarding expectations, duties and responsibilities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (not listed in order of priority)
1. Assist Roads Foreman on a day to day basis with the supervision of district garage employees in a manner that motivates, guides and directs employees to accomplish departmental goals and objectives.
2. Provide general direction to district garage employees and contractors in the absence of the Roads Foreman.
3. Responsible for assisting Roads Foreman and district garage employees with the completion of all documentation including, but not limited to, work orders, road patrol reports, inventory tracking and weather reports, to ensure accuracy and integrity of all information to be recorded.
4. Assist with routine and winter road inspections, identifying deficiencies, working with roads garage Foreman to plan and schedule remedial road repair work.
5. Provide recommendations to improve efficiency and effectiveness of district garage activities.
6. Perform the duties of a Labourer/Truck Driver as required.
7. Comply with provincial occupational health and safety legislation, County regulations, policies and procedures. Ensure that operating staff work in a safe manner and utilize all required health and safety equipment and protective devices and follow all measures and procedures as required by the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations and County Policies.
8. Ensure all performance issues or disciplinary matters are immediately identified and referred to the Road Foreman.
9. Maintain confidentiality in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
10. Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS AND CERTIFICATION
- Grade 12 high school diploma.
- Successful completion of the T.J. Mahoney road school.
- Successful completion or currently enrolled in the Public Works Leadership Development Program – CRS modules.
- Must be enrolled in the CRS designation program with AORS.
- Must possessa valid DZ license.
- Must have the ability to lead and direct field crews working on a wide variety of maintenance activities.
- Computer knowledge (e.g. use of Microsoft office, keyboarding and spreadsheet applications, including email programs) would be considered an asset.
- Possess diplomatic communication skills to communicate effectively with staff, public, and representatives of outside agencies and municipalities.
- Ability to participate as an effective team member and support and project values compatible with the organization.
- Related experience in road maintenance and construction.
- Supervisory experience in road maintenance, construction and related works.
- Experience in the leadership and supervision of staff and the administration of employment policies and collective agreements, would be considered an asset.
- Visual and mental effort required when operating equipment for long periods of time, must be aware of surroundings.
- Some mental effort required when completing computer work.
- Work is performed out of a County garage.
- Will be out on County roads year round in order maintain them.
$29.48 - $29.93
SEIU BGPWU Rds
The County of Simcoe thanks all applicants for their interest in this opportunity, but please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Personal information provided is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act (2001) and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.