GUIDING SOLUTIONS IN THE NATURAL ENVIRONMENT
S e n i o r A q u a t i c E c o l o g i s t
Beacon Environmental Limited is currently seeking a Senior Aquatic Ecologist to work full-time out of
our Markham office. The successful candidate will typically have ten years of professional consulting
experience with at least five years at a senior level.
Senior staff oversee multidisciplinary teams to complete project work. In coordination with Sector
Leaders, they identify business opportunities for the division, create proposals, meet with clients and
other external stakeholders and are responsible for product delivery. Seniors also generate revenue
and are responsible for distributing work to staff. They are essential in the professional development of
other Beacon staff.
The duties of Senior staff include:
delivery of projects and reports, project management, QA/QC, client
and agency relations, leadership and mentoring, strategic business development, marketing, proposal
preparation and review, staff recruitment and field work.
Beacon offers a competitive compensation package including ownership opportunities, a performance
bonus system, health benefits, and RRSP matching. Our inclusive corporate culture is carefully
designed to make us an exceptionally competitive firm, and a fulfilling place to pursue a career in the
dynamic industry of environmental consulting.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related discipline; a Master’s Degree is preferred, or equivalent.
- Minimum ten years consulting experience related to aquatic ecology, five years at a senior
- Strong knowledge of, and comfortable with, provincial and federal environmental regulatory
procedures, possess knowledge to assist in the successful negotiation of Conservation
Authorities Act permits, federal Fisheries Act Authorizations and Endangered Species Act
permits related to aquatic species.
- Experience with environmental management and compliance as it relates to the planning,
design and construction of infrastructure including environmental specifications.
- Excellent self-management, time management and organizational skills with the ability to set
priorities and multi-task.
- Demonstrated sense of urgency with a strong commitment to ensuring client satisfaction,
achieving goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of and experience with project management fundamentals including cost control,
scope management, scheduling.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; team oriented, ability to work independently.
REPORTING AND ANALYSIS
- Demonstrated experience in study design, data analysis and reporting.
- Experience with natural heritage impact assessment including the ability to locate, synthesize
and assess technical background information related to natural heritage generally and aquatic
S e n i o r A q u a t i c E c o l o g i s t
- Experience with provincial and federal environmental regulatory procedures (environmental
impact assessments/studies, due diligence studies, habitat restoration) and natural heritage
policies in Ontario.
- Ability to incorporate technical information into accurate and concise reports.
- Demonstrated experience in public and stakeholder consultation.
- Experience with habitat management and/or habitat monitoring and wildlife surveys.
- Experience handling small and large-scale project budgets.
- Experience with unsolicited marketing.
- Experience motivating and managing teams and managing concurrent projects.
- Experience liaising and negotiating with government agencies and regulatory bodies.
- Ability to provide mentoring and guidance to junior and intermediate staff.
- Ability to provide occasional in-person support to other offices.
- Experience conducting fish population evaluations, aquatic habitat assessments, benthic
macro-invertebrate sampling, and water quality monitoring.
- Experience with pre- and post-construction monitoring of in-stream works.
- Solid familiarity with a variety of assessment and monitoring techniques for both small and
large aquatic systems.
Additional skills that would be an asset, but are not required, include:
- Headwater Drainage Feature Assessment training
- Ontario Benthos Biomonitoring Network (OBBN) training
- Class I Electrofishing/Class II Backpack Electrofishing
- MTO/DFO/MNR Fisheries Specialist Certification Course
- Ontario Stream Assessment Protocol Training (OSAP)
- Certified Inspector of Sediment and Erosion Control (CISEC)
To be negotiated based on skills and experience
Via email at email@example.com.
Beacon will contact those candidates that have been selected for an interview.
To learn more about Beacon please visit our website at http://www.beaconenviro.com