CITY OF COLWOOD
TITLE: INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY TECHNICIAN
POSITION TYPE: UNION POSITION
PAY GRADE: PAY GRADE 15
LAST UPDATED: APRIL 2021 (under Review)
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK
Reporting to the Manager of Information Technology, the IT Technician contributes to the effective
operation of the IT department through the support, maintenance and the day-to-day operation of the
City’s computer systems, applications, servers, network, telephone system and mobile devices.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Acts as first point of contact for technical support and helpdesk throughout the organization.
2. Acts as first point of contact for employee orientation to the City’s IT systems.
3. Installs, configures, and troubleshoots network systems including servers, switches and software
4. Supports core infrastructure services such as email, vpn, videoconferencing, active directory and
5. Administers Microsoft Active Directory such as users accounts and group policy.
6. Configures workstations, laptops, and all related hardware.
7. Performs equipment moves, additions and changes.
8. Orders, configures and troubleshoots mobile devices such as tablets and smartphones for City Staff
and elected officials.
9. Supports, maintains and troubleshoots telephone system hardware and software and manages
phone tree architecture.
10. Maintains hardware inventory and provides advice to senior leadership for replacement cycle.
pg. 1 INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY TECHNICIAN | April 2021