The YMCA of Northern BC serves 20,000 people of all abilities, backgrounds, and stages of life in
Northern British Columbia. We are a growing, multi-service charity that offers health, fitness and
recreation, licensed childcare, childcare referrals, rehabilitation services, community social services, and
summer camps. The YMCA offers the opportunity to join a strong and exuberant team in a workplace
that embraces respect, honesty, caring, and responsibility. We offer a competitive salary, benefits to full
time staff, complementary membership and discounts on some programs including child care programs.
Purpose and Objective
The YMCA is currently preparing to open and manage the District of Vanderhoof’s new Vanderhoof
Aquatic Centre. This facility is currently under construction and scheduled to open by the end of 2018.
We are seeking an enthusiastic maintenance and operations lead ready to support this fantastic new
The Facility Maintenance Lead is responsible for ensuring safe, efficient, and well-maintained facility
ready to meet the needs of all participants. This role will participate in the building and maintenance
activities including minor repair, pool heating and filtering equipment, and custodial tasks as required.
If you are passionate about building healthy communities through promoting healthy living, fostering
belonging, inclusion, and connection and helping children, families, and seniors thrive and have a
background in aquatic maintenance and operations this opportunity is for you!
Key Responsibilities (but not limited to):
- Responsible for deep cleaning tasks within areas such as washrooms, change rooms, and public
areas of the facility.
- Responsible for maintenance tasks related to pool heating and filtration equipment as directed
by the Facility Maintenance Coordinator.
- Supporting a culture of continuous improvement, proactive, and outcomes focused approach to
facility maintenance and operations.
- Supports high service standards and satisfaction ratings throughout the centre. Achieves all
YMCA quality management targets.
- Adherence to all YMCA of Northern BC policies.
- Familiarity and compliance with applicable local, provincial and national standards and
requirements related to aquatic facility operations.
VAC Maintenance Coordinator January 2019 Page 2 of 3
1. Leadership and Coaching –Ability to direct and develop performance of others to achieve desired
2. Service Strategy – Ability to identify the needs and wants of members and guests as a priority and
respond in an effective and timely manner to enhance every person’s experience.
3. Project Resource Management – Ability to manage a project from initial planning to completion.
4. Planning and Organizing – Ability to establish a clearly defined and effective course of action for self
and others to accomplish short and long term goals.
5. Negotiation/ Communication/ Interpersonal Skills- Ability to speak, write, listen and secure
information in a variety of settings. Ability to cooperate with others to achieve results. Ability to create
and build relationships throughout the centre and the Association.
6. Strategic Planning and Visioning – Ability to visualize future direction and formulate strategies, plans
and action to achieve vision.
7. Teamwork and Cooperation – Ability to work cooperatively and productively with others within and
across organizational units to achieve common goals; demonstrates respect, cooperation, collaboration
and consensus building.
8. Self Management- Ability to appropriately manage one’s own emotions; maintain a calm and tactful
composure under broad range of challenging circumstances and thing clearly and stay focused under
- A minimum of a Grade 12 Diploma or equivalent, additional vocational training will be
considered an asset.
- Current BCRPA Pool Operators Level I and II certificates or willingness to attend this course
within the next 3 months.
- Experience with general maintenance and custodial tasks.
- Current WHMIS certification or willingness to complete.
- Current First Aid and CPR certification or willingness to complete.
- 3 satisfactory professional references
- Satisfactory criminal record check and clear vulnerable sector search
- Physical ability to perform the tasks required
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Detail oriented, self starter and organized
- Excellent coaching skills
- Excellent time management and teamwork abilities
- Excellent customer relationship skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- New Aquatic Centre scheduled to open by end of 2018.
- Evening or weekend work will be required
- Occasional participation in Y community events
- Flexibility required to meet changing demands
VAC Maintenance Coordinator January 2019 Page 3 of 3
How to Apply
Please apply with an application form (found on our website), cover letter and resume. This position
will remain open until filled.
HOW TO APPLY:Please submit the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- YMCA Employment Application (located at http://nbc.ymca.ca/wp-
Applications will be accepted via email to the attention of:
Heather Crozier, Centre Manager Vanderhoof Aquatic Centre
YMCA of Northern BC
The YMCA of Northern BC thanks everyone for their interest in this opportunity. Only those selected for
an interview will be contacted.