UBCO is currently recruiting a team of empowering, passionate, and creative full-time (35 hours/week) First Cooks to join our new Food Services Department on campus! Our First Cooks mainly work in our Sunshine and Picnic locations. With the direction of the Sous Chef, the First Cooks are our back of the house Team Leaders oversees the day to day production, works the assigned line or station when required, assumes the responsibility of leading the kitchen team in a designated area and supervises Second Cooks, Third Cooks and Kitchen Attendants.
For more information on our food vision and values, specifics on our locations, and information on our Executive Chef Shelley Robinson, check out the link: https://food.ok.ubc.ca/about/
Please note this position is sessional, ongoing each year from September to the end of April (May, June, July, August off). As position is 8 months, monthly salary to start is $2,839.00 ($18.72/hour).
Who are you?
- You are a strong leader who uses empowerment, trust and other strategies as appropriate to develop and motivate team members
- You can facilitate communication between team members to ensure the success of your team
- You are energetic, friendly and deeply passionate about food and dining experiences
- You are excited about working in a fun university setting and building relationships with students, faculty, and staff
- You thrive while learning new things and take delight in solving problems
- You care about supporting local, great ingredients, transparency and sustainability
- You are looking for a career to develop into, not just a job. Endless opportunities for advancement with hard work!
- You have a Certificate in cooking from a recognized cooking institution, Food Safe Level 1 Certificate (or willing to obtain one) and a Grade 12 education
- You are excited about working with our new Executive Chef, Shelley Robinson, Interprovincial Red Seal Cook and Chopped Canada Winner!
Why Work for UBC?
We pride ourselves in having a dynamic workplace culture, great pay & benefits and opportunities for career growth. Here are just some of the reasons UBC is one of BC’s top employers and what we offer our food services employees:
- Competitive salary and outstanding benefits
- Generous vacation
- UBC Pension Plan
- Development and training opportunities
- Professional development funds
- Employee meal plan
- Tuition waiver
- Diverse portfolio offering opportunities in many different food services environments
- Flexible working schedules
- Participates in and oversees day to day production.
- Responsible for baking requirements for production.
- Works the assigned line or station when required.
- Assumes the responsibility of leading a kitchen team in a designated area.
- Supervises Second Cooks, Third Cooks and Kitchen Attendants.
- Provides training and direction to the kitchen in absence of a Sous Chef.
- Other duties as required.
Grade 12 or equivalent, certificate in cooking from a recognized cooking institution, Food Safe Level 1 Certificate and the completion of a Red Seal certification is required (or currently in the process of pursing). Three years related experience, including supervision of other staff or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $2,839.00 /month