This is a provisional classification. Formal classification procedures will be initiated by the Compensation & Job Evaluation Unit in approximately six months.
About Dalhousie University
Dalhousie University is Atlantic Canada’s leading research-intensive university and a driver of the region’s intellectual, social and economic development. Located in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, with an Agricultural Campus in Truro/Bible Hill, Dalhousie is a truly national and international university, with more than half of our 19,000 students coming from outside of the province. Our 6,000 faculty and staff foster a vibrant, purpose-driven community, that celebrated 200 years of academic excellence in 2018.
The Department of Family Medicine is one of the largest and most complex clinical science departments within the Faculty of Medicine and is dedicated to excellence in patient care, teaching, research, and administration within the discipline of Family Medicine in a distributed learning environment (across three provinces). Reporting to the Financial Manager, the Financial Assistant performs day-to-day financial related activities for the operating accounts of the Department of Family Medicine.
- Update and maintain computerized accounting system (Quick Books); record all department earnings and expenses, prepare cheques, prepare and post deposits, initiate and/or review all department purchase orders and cheque requisitions.
- Reconcile financial statements and follow-up on discrepancies.
- Perform physician payroll function; calculate bi-weekly and monthly pay for independent contractors and University employees for approval from Financial Manager for payment. Act as primary contact for payroll agency.
- Assist with preparation of annual budget, quarterly reviews and annual financial audit and produce a variety of financial reports as required.
- Coordinate financial administration for the Nova Scotia Residency Training Site budgets and non-Nova Scotia Residency Training sites, including processing expenditures and disbursements, compiling data for budget preparation and reporting actual performance against budget to the Financial Manager.
- Maintain, update and reconcile invoices, ledgers and accounts for the Nova Scotia Practice Ready Assessment Program
Business/Office Administration program with strong bookkeeping/accounting background plus approximately five years’ experience in a financial/payroll function (or equivalent combination of training and experience) is required. Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) is required. Experience with QuickBooks, Ceridian, and/or other accounting software is highly preferred. Knowledge of DalMedix would be an asset. Excellent communication and organizational skills are required, in addition to the ability to multi-task using independent judgment and analysis in order to meet stringent deadlines.
Job Competencies Additional Information
Dalhousie University supports a healthy and balanced lifestyle. Our total compensation package includes a defined benefit pension plan, health and dental plans, a health spending account, an employee and family assistance program and a tuition assistance program.
Bargaining unit employees for NSGEU local 77 are given first consideration and will be notified regarding the status of their application. All other applicants will be considered when there is no qualified internal candidate.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Dalhousie University is committed to fostering a collegial culture grounded in diversity and inclusiveness. The university encourages applications from Indigenous persons, persons with a disability, racially visible persons, women, persons of a minority sexual orientation and/or gender identity, and all candidates who would contribute to the diversity of our community. For more information, please visit www.dal.ca/hiringfordiversity.