Department of Justice Canada - Information Solutions Branch
Calgary (Alberta), Edmonton (Alberta), Vancouver (British Columbia), Winnipeg (Manitoba), Halifax (Nova Scotia), Ottawa (Ontario), Toronto (Ontario), Montréal Island (Québec), Saskatoon (Saskatchewan)
Indeterminate, term, casuals, acting appointments, deployments, secondments, assignments, Interchange Canada
$70,439 to $86,213
For further information on the organization, please visit Department of Justice Canada
Need help with your application? Check out this video for tips and advice!
Interested in learning more about IM/IT Careers in the Government of Canada? View this IM-IT Recruitment page!
8 August 2021 - 23:59, Pacific Time
Who can apply:
Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad.
With respect to the INVENTORY - CS-02 - Various Analyst Positions, please note that following amendment to the statement of merit criteria.
- PREVIOUS : EX3-Recent* and significant** experience providing IM/IT advice AND formulating recommendations to Supervisors AND Clients OR co-workers.
- NEW: EX3- Recent* and significant** experience providing IM/IT advice.
As this selection process is an inventory and remains open, we encourage you to review your application and consider updating your application accordingly.
Thank you for your interest in this inventory,
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
When you apply to this selection process, you are not applying for a specific job, but to an inventory for future vacancies. As positions become available, applicants who meet the qualifications may be contacted for further assessment.
What makes inventories different from other job advertisements? You only need to apply once, but can be considered for different job opportunities. Don’t worry, even if your application is not selected for one job, your application remains in the inventory and can be selected again for the entire duration that the inventory remains open. As an applicant, you can go back and update your resume at any time.
***The Department of Justice Canada is currently recruiting talented, skilled and passionate IT specialists! ***
Looking for a rewarding and meaningful career in IM/IT?
Want to ensure that the right tools get the right information to the right people at the right time to inform the right decisions?
Looking to work in a collaborative and mutually supportive team environment?
***What can you expect working at Justice Canada? ***
IT specialists work in partnership with Shared Services Canada to deliver IT services to all of Justice’s offices in Ottawa and across the country. If you’re looking for challenges, you will have an opportunity to gain valuable work skills with experienced team members.
Our priorities are delivering digital services to Canadians, legal services to Government and leveraging internal digital services and data to enable the delivery of a modern justice system and high-quality legal services to the government. We look to new methods, tools and ideas to improve how we design, build and deliver services.
Justice Canada is unique in the federal government with clients located across the country, and within some 40 federal departments and agencies. Our IT organization is designed to provide both strategic and operational functions.
LIKE WHAT YOU READ ? Then make a difference and consider a career with Canada’s largest law firm!
Intent of the process
Inventory . A pool of partially qualified candidates may be established to staff similar positions in various locations within the Department of Justice with various tenures (indeterminate, term, casuals, acting appointments, deployments, secondments/assignments and Interchange Canada), various language requirements and various security levels. If a pool is established following this staffing process, all federal organizations listed in Schedules I, IV and V of the Financial Administration Act (FAA) will be able to use it in order to staff similar positions across Canada.
Positions to be filled:
Number to be determined
Information you must provide
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
STEP 1 of the assessment process - INTRODUCE YOURSELF
Please make sure to fully answer the screening questions and provide details as the information you provide may be shared with hiring managers. Resumes will only be used as a secondary source to validate the experience. If you need tips and advice on completing your application, please see this video. www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GW7P3g9hhI
(ED1) Successful completion of two years of an acceptable post-secondary educational program in computer science, information technology, information management or another specialty relevant to the position to be staffed.
1. Indeterminate period incumbents of positions in the CS group on May 10, 1999, who do not possess the education prescribed above, are deemed to meet the minimum education standards based on their education, training and/or experience. They must be accepted as having met the minimum education standard whenever this standard is called for when staffing positions in the CS group.
2. It is the recognized educational institution (e.g. community college, CÉGEP or university) that determines if the courses taken by a candidate correspond to two years of a post-secondary program at the institution.
3. At the manager's discretion, an acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience may serve as an alternative to the minimum post-secondary education stated above. Whenever the minimum education is met using this alternative, it is met for the specific position only and must be re-assessed for other positions for which this alternative has been specified by the manager.
EX1-Recent* and significant** experience providing technical services in at least one of the following areas:
- Application Development
- IT Desktop Support OR Help Desk Support
- Database Development OR Database Administration
- System Administration OR Infrastructure Administration
- IT Security
- IM/IT Business Analyst OR IM/IT Project Management
EX2- Recent* and significant** experience working on OR collaborating with others on IT projects OR initiatives.
EX3- Recent* and significant** experience providing IM/IT advice.
EX4-Significant** experience in providing IM/IT client support services OR training.
Wherever “IM/IT” (Information Management (IM) / Information Technology (IT)) systems is indicated, it is to be interpreted as “IM or IT”.
Recent* experience refers to experience normally acquired within approximately the last five (5) years of work.
Significant** experience is defined as depth and breadth of experience normally associated with the performance of those duties on a regular basis for a period of approximately one (1) year. However, a shorter duration may be considered based on demonstrated complexity and diversity of work handled, scope of work, or level of direct responsibility for a wide variety of complex files or projects.
If you possess any of the following, your application must also clearly explain how you meet it (other qualifications)
TELL US MORE - Assets:
We also want to learn more about other qualifications you might have gained during your career or studies. Please ensure to answer the questions and provide examples on when, where and how you gained these qualifications only if the following applies to you:
ASSET QUALIFICATIONS :
AED1-Successful completion of an acceptable post-secondary educational program relevant to the position to be staffed.
(AC1) Business Analysis certification, such as PMI-PB.
(AC2) Project Management Certification, such as PMP or PRINCE2.
(AC3) ITIL Certification.
(AC4) Current certification in an IM/IT security discipline such as CISSP, CISM, CRISC or GCIA.
(AEX1) Experience in creating OR configuring OR testing OR deploying application packages or patches to workstations or servers.
(AEX2) Recent* and significant** experience providing technical support services AND troubleshooting computer hardware OR computer operating systems such as Windows 10.
(AEX3) Recent* experience developing OR customizing OR providing technical support services for Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) software (such as SAP, MS Dynamics, SharePoint, GCDocs, etc.)
(AEX4) Recent* experience in the installation AND configuration AND monitoring AND administration of Microsoft SQL OR in development using Microsoft SQL.
(AEX5) Experience maintaining OR administrating a Windows Server operating system platform, such as 2012R2 or 2016.
(AEX6) Experience providing OR supporting IT security risk assessment activities.
(AEX7) Experience installing OR configuring OR supporting OR testing OR maintaining IT Security technical safeguards such as network firewalls, Security Information Event Management (SIEM) tools, intrusion detection or prevention technologies in a corporate environment.
(AEX8) Experience in performing testing AND quality assurance related activities such as unit, functional, integration or regression testing.
(AEX10) Recent* and significant** experience integrating SharePoint with other systems.
(AEX11) Recent* experience in service management processes and tools that support one or more of the following: incidents, problems, changes or releases activities or disciplines. (ITIL)
(AEX12) Recent* and significant** experience performing business analyst functions (for example, planning, managing and facilitating requirements gathering activities, validating requirements, conducting business process analysis, developing and documenting business process, etc.).
(AEX13) Experience working with project teams AND clients in preparing project deliverables ( for example business cases, project charters, project plans, business requirements, status reports, etc.).
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
Various language requirements
Various language requirements (English Essential, French Essential, English or French Essential or Bilingual Imperative such as BBB/BBB).
Information on language requirements
STEP 2 of the assessment process – SHOW US!
If your application is screened in, you will be invited to complete an online exam.
AC1- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
AC2- Ability to work with minimal or with no supervision.
BC1 -Communication - Oral
BC2- Communication - Written
BC3- Analytical Thinking
BC4- Client Focus
BC6- Continuous Learning
STEP 3 of the assessment process – LANGUAGE ASSESSMENT
Depending on the position being staffed, we may have positions with various language requirements, such as: English OR French Essential, English Essential, French Essential, or Bilingual Imperative BBB/BBB). If you are interested in being considered for a bilingual position, Second Language Evaluation will be conducted. Second Language Evaluation (SLE) testing will be administered, as required, using the Public Service Commission’s (PSC) SLE tests. If you would like to prepare yourself for the SLE tests, please visit the Second Language Evaluation information for candidates page: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-servicecommission/services/second-language-testing-publicservice/information-candidates.html
If you have previously been assessed for SLE but do not have a copy of your results, please visit the PSC’s Confirmation of Previous Test Result web page:
The following may be applied / assessed at a later date (may be needed for the job)
The Department of Justice is committed to maintaining a representative workforce reflective of Canadian society. In support of achieving a diversified workforce and our employment equity goals, qualified candidates who self-declare in a staffing process as members of Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and/or women may be selected for appointment to fulfill organizational needs including reducing representation gaps.
Willing and able to work overtime.
Willing and able to be on-call, as required.
Willing and able to travel periodically in order to work off-site, particularly in a geographical dispersed environment.
Conditions of employment
STEP 4 of the assessment process - SECURITY CLEARANCE
The hiring department is responsible for the Personnel Security Clearance process. Typically to be eligible for a "Reliability" clearance, you must provide residence information for the last five (5) years and to be eligible for a "Secret" clearance, you must provide residence information for the last ten (10) years.
The process may involve reference inquiries, verification of qualifications, criminal records checks, credit checks (if required) and fingerprints.
Conditions of Employment:
Various Security Clearances:
Reliability and Secret. Depending on position to be staffed.
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Information on employment equity
- The Department of Justice encourages persons with priority entitlements to self refer to our selection processes in circumstances where they believe to meet the essential qualifications of the advertised position.
- Please note that applications received through any means other than the www.jobs.gc.ca website will not be considered.
- Random selection may be used.
- Top down selection may be used at any point during the assessment phase.
- Candidates may be required to meet some of the asset qualifications depending on the requirements of the specific position being staffed. Asset qualifications may be used to manage the number of applicants for this inventory.
- Extractions from this selection process will be ongoing. Results from previous extractions will be deemed valid for future extractions.
- Please note the first extraction from this selection process may be as early as April 23, 2019.
- Online exam will be administered.
- Reference checks will be completed.
- Any travel expenses incurred by candidates to attend evaluations under this recruitment process will be the candidate's responsibility.
- Proof of education will be required prior to the start date of the offer of employment. If you have a foreign degree(s), you will have to provide proof of Canadian equivalency.
- Communication for this process will be sent via e-mail. It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure that a current and valid e-mail address is provided with their application and that it accepts messages from unknown senders.
- Any communication with the candidates through this staffing process may be used to evaluate qualifications listed and other qualifications.
- Other qualifications not mentioned on this advertisement may be assessed depending on the position to be staffed.
- Other organizations within the core public administration will be able to use this pool to staff their positions, therefore by applying to this process you consent to your personal application-related information being shared with other government departments interested in staffing similar positions
Preference will be given to veterans and to Canadian citizens, in that order, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
Information on the preference to veterans
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.