We are seeking a Junior Legal Assistant with 1+ years experience to join our team. We are pleased to offer an excellent environment, a competitive salary and a great benefits package.
LEGAL ASSISTANT RESPONSIBILITIES
- Draft standard correspondence to clients and counsel.
- Draft standard pleadings, such as affidavits of service.
- Prepare correspondence by dictation.
- Serve and file documents.
- Maintain the lawyers’ calendars with an emphasis on developing and maintaining good client relations, including: scheduling and confirming meetings, conference calls, examinations for discovery, motions and other court attendances, appointments, seminars, and travel arrangements.
- Prepare, organize, and compile documents such as motion records, medical briefs, and affidavits of documents.
- Billing; prepare pre-bills for review and make necessary corrections; send bills to clients.
- Manage incoming invoices, submit lawyers' expenses, and file backup records.
- Maintain up-to-date electronic and physical filing by opening, maintaining and closing files on PCLaw, ACL and other internal systems; and, adhering to established procedures.
RECEPTION RESPONSIBILITIES (2 days a week)
- Operate switchboard.
- Greet clients and ascertain nature of visits; inform requested contact of the client's arrival.
- Arrange for courier services.
- Open incoming mail and distribute to appropriate staff member.
- Maintain the reception area.
- Maintain the kitchen area.
- Ensure kitchen is organized and fridge is stocked with drinks, milk and cream.
- Print requested cheques in PCLaw and obtain signatures from partners.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS & EDUCATION
- Legal Assistant / Law Clerk Diploma
- 1+ years experience working in a legal environment
- Knowledge of legal terminology, Rules of Civil Procedure and Statutes.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Knowledgeable with software including MSWord, PCLaw, ACL, Summation, Eclipse and Outlook.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent time management, organizational and prioritization skills with ability to work under pressure.
- Keen attention to detail and desire to provide high quality, accurate work product.
- Excellent interpersonal and collaborative relationship management abilities.
- Professional conflict resolution skills, including ability to de-escalate and progress issues to mutual agreement or positive compromise.
- Collaborative and supportive team member; contributes to positive and respectful work environments.
- Enthusiastic, pro-active, can do attitude; with the ability to multi-task in response to changing priorities throughout the day.
- Good judgement and ability to exercise discretion when dealing with confidential and sensitive matters.
- Ability to work independently, take initiative and be resourceful.
- Eagerness to learn and develop skills.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply with a resume and cover letter and include the job title in the subject line.
RLS is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to offering equal employment opportunities regardless of race or racial group, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or gender identity. We foster an inclusive, equitable and accessible environment.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted directly.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Job Type: Full-time
- to join our team: 1 year (Preferred)