About Starling Minds
We are currently undergoing a global mental health epidemic. 1 in 5 Canadians suffer from mental illness annually wherein 60% are left untreated due to cost, access, or stigma. As a result, staggering costs are incurred by affected individuals and their employers.
Starling Minds’ mission is to make affordable and effective mental health care accessible to everyone. We sell our Workplace Mental Health Platform to organizations as an on-demand, 100% digital Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) solution so that there are minimal barriers for employees to access evidence-based support.
Summary of Role
We’re looking for an experienced and energetic Senior Full Stack Developer to play a technical leadership role in the development of our dynamic, web and mobile-based Cognitive Behavioural Therapy platform. As part of the software development team, you will work closely and collaboratively with multidisciplinary colleagues to create and innovate with our industry leading technology.
You have a passion for elegance and excellence in code structure and architecture - from backend to frontend, both web and mobile. You like to have fun at work and put your energy into building a positive team environment. You have an insatiable appetite for learning and love to win as a team. You have pride in everything you touch and can have passionate debate and respectively challenge others. You crave the opportunity for impactful creative input in building a next-level system for improving people’s lives.
- Technical leadership role in the development team
- Co-architecting the overall system to meet current requirements and preparing for future vision, in collaboration with the VP, Technology
- Develop and extend Java (JEE) back-end components of Starling’s platforms
- Develop and extend Vue.js front-end components of Starling Platform 5
- Build unit tests as part of regular development practices (using JUnit, Mocha.js)
- Collaborate with multi-disciplinary team - product management, therapy designers, UX designers, QA engineers, frontend and backend developers, including some outsourced roles
- Build and maintain Postgresql databases in a high availability environment
- Provide guidance and mentorship to the rest of the Development team on frontend and backend development standards and best practices.
- Participate in all Scrum practises: sprint planning, daily standups, estimation, backlog grooming, sprint demos and retrospectives
- Review team members’ code constructively and collaboratively (including your own), and contribute to ongoing improvement of team practices and procedures
- Gain a strong understanding of our AWS infrastructure and contribute to operational assessment and future planning
- Oversee the operation of the build pipeline, including CI/CD and automated testing results
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Requirements
- 5+ years experience shipping Progressive Web Applications
- 5+ years of experience contributing to the System architecture and design
- 5+ years experience with Java/JEE
- 3+ years experience with Java Spring Boot
- Solid experience writing RESTful API endpoints
- Experience building and managing cloud-based systems on AWS, Google Cloud Platform, or Azure
- Experience with relational databases (PostgreSQL, MYSQL, etc.) and able to write complex SQL queries.
- Experience using database version tools such as LiquiBase
- Experience with tools such as Eclipse, Maven, Jenkins, GIT, Jira
- Passion for user experience, performance, and uptime
- Excellent communication skills
- A good team player who makes teammates better
- Knowledge of security best practices
- Experience leading collaborative code reviews
- Ability to work from requirements, make good decisions and lead a development team
- Post-secondary education in computer science or engineering (or equivalent experience)
Nice to haves
- Experience with rules engines or expert systems
- Experience developing applications based on microservices architecture
- Hands-on devops experience with AWS tools and services such as Elastic Cloud Compute, Lambda, RDS, CodeDeploy etc.
- Advanced knowledge of AWS capabilities and security features
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with Ember.js
- Full time permanent position (40 hours/week)
- Reports to: VP Engineering
- Salary $100k+, dependant on experience
- Starling Minds is located in Vancouver, BC (Gastown neighbourhood)