SAIT is a global leader in applied education and an institution that empowers employees to make a difference in the lives of our students.
Building on more than a century of history, we are looking for innovative employees wanting to create a future with us. As part of our team, you are encouraged to be bold and inventive, bringing new ideas to the table. Change excites you.
Along with competitive benefits, gourmet on-campus restaurants run by our culinary program and an unparalleled view of downtown Calgary, SAIT offers the chance to do work with a purpose — preparing the next generation of industry leaders, entrepreneurs, advocates and explorers. We develop leaders in the classroom and our workspaces, encouraging lifelong learning for both students and employees.
Your future starts now … at SAIT.
A foundational component of SAIT's Facilities Management department, the Sustainable Operations team is a group of talented designers, trades people and engineers leading SAIT’s power plant operations, building life cycle asset management, energy and resource initiatives and sustainable engagement. Facilities management provides agile, sustainable, integrated operations, facility maintenance, capital planning, design and project delivery to meet the needs of student, faculty and our broader community. Our vision is to create an environment to inspire, shape and make the future. Our global foundation.
Reporting directly to the Associate Director, Facilities Management, the Grants Coordinator will primarily be responsible for the facilitation and application to municipal, Provincial and Federal grants related to SAIT’s Facility Management infrastructure, assets, equipment, research and industry partnerships. The Grants Coordinator will work alongside facilities subject matter experts in Energy, Sustainability, Asset Management, Design, Planning and Development to assist or lead in applications that meet short and long term strategic priorities.
Project applications range in scale from energy efficiency scoping studies and major infrastructure through to sustainable engagement initiatives that support student engagement, mixed use recycling and sustainable curriculum content across SAIT’s curriculum. Priority projects will target SAIT’s Energy and Resource Framework, Sustainability Framework and Space optimization.
You are a subject matter expert in the field of green technologies and operate with a forward thinking initiative. You have strong relationship building skills and will act as a liaison.
In collaboration with Associate Director and Sustainable Operations leadership team pursue collaborative research, infrastructure and long term maintenance projects with small, medium enterprises and large industry partners
Strategic planning and report writing related to FM foundational strategies including but not limited to the Campus Master Plan and supportive documents including Sustainability Framework, Energy and Resource Framework, Lifecycle Asset Management Framework, Space Optimization Framework etc.
Provide subject matter expertise and support for innovative, multi funder project tracking, including capital project/ capital grant project expense allocation, energy conservation investment tracking and maintenance fund tracking across multiple campuses.
Communication & Grant Acquisition
Establish and maintain positive relationships with representatives from the government and private funding bodies
Work with the Facilities Management team to aid in the discovery of new funding opportunities, identify application needs and lead the execution of industry based capital, infrastructure, R&D and technical grant applications as they arise.
Maintain an awareness and working knowledge of federal and provincial research granting agencies, including program changes and updates.
Research and identify relevant funding opportunities available through foundations and industry.
Assists in the review of grant, award and contract applications to ensure files are submitted on time and in compliance with the relevant agency guidelines.
Identify and coordinate opportunities for interdisciplinary student, faculty and institutional research partnerships.
Timely compilation and analysis of data on the number of applications and success rates of research and scholarship funding applications.
Coordinates with external vendors to obtain documentation and letters of support and quotes for equipment, instrumentation and supplies required by granting agencies.
Liaise with other technology development, technology transfer and commercialization organizations outside of SAIT
Participate in developing SAIT’s sustainability vision
Facilitation and delivery of workshops and events aimed at increasing awareness of relevant funding opportunities and improving success in grant and proposal development.
Participate in networking activities including project award identification and application, conference presentations, conference attendance and networking opportunities
Assist in internal education and networking, creating relationships with SAIT faculty, instructors and students
Report good news stories for external and internal communications
Liaise with department and institutional stakeholders to support their capital planning and process improvement, aligning prospect initiatives towards meeting institutional priorities.
This position is an expert in grant application and acquisition. Required knowledge and skills include:
- Proven track record in successfully managing, monitoring or controlling smaller scale (residential) through to multiple million dollar project initiatives
- Experience in project management including planning and execution of small and large scale projects inclusive of workplan development, initiation, monitoring budget and schedule, change and closure
- Excellent knowledge of construction project estimation for new construction, renovation through to equipment acquisition and maintenance
- Proven track record in successfully estimating small to large scale projects from early stage schematic design through to final project completion
Ability to align objectives to tasks, milestones and metrics.
The incumbent will possess the following:
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational and analytical skills
- An Undergrad or Master’s Degree in Environmental Studies/ Engineering, Public Policy or Business/ Commerce or equivalent is required.
- 3-5 years’ experience in a post-secondary or related research environmental.
- Demonstrated success in grant-writing and research facilitation, ideally in a post-secondary context.
- Seeking emphasis in acquisition of Provincial and Federal grants in areas of research, business development, resource partnership, institutional infrastructure, sustainable programs and partnerships
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to work across a wide variety of disciplines and types of research.
- Demonstrated leadership skills to facilitate and coordinate collaborative work among faculty, students and administrators.
- A working knowledge of the Canadian academic funding landscape.
- Strong editing and research budgeting skills.
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize conflicting and competing deadlines.
- Capacity to manage communication with faculty, students and administrators during stressful periods near application deadlines.
- Ability to promote business initiatives
- High Proficiency in MS Office 365, Archibus; Medium Proficiency in Project Management software/ kpi tracking software
- Strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Strong project management skills seen as an asset including able to scope, task and itemize project workplan, associated costs and execute cost control measures in a timely fashion
- Excellent research and analytical skills.
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to align objectives to tasks, milestones and metrics.
- Highly motivated, self starter with superb interpersonal and leadership skills
- Ability to anticipate, assess and readily adapt to changing priorities, maintain resilience in times of uncertainty and effectively work and lead in a changing environment.
- You possess a passion for the work, can demonstrate initiative and have the ability to think and act decisively
Why Work at SAIT
Enjoy a stimulating work environment, a beautiful campus overlooking downtown Calgary and a great benefits package including: comprehensive health and dental coverage, a defined benefit pension plan, professional development programs, generous paid time off, free access to our Wellness Centre, transit subsidies and more.
Why Work at SAIT
Please continue with the online application process by clicking the Apply Now button
All applications should be made through our online system.
SAIT is committed to equity and diversity within its community and invites applications from all qualified applicants.
This position is union exempt in our Administration, Professional and Technical group
Conditions of Employment
In order to ensure and maintain a safe and secure working and learning environment, all applicants to the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology must complete and pass a police security clearance before employment is confirmed. Employment is conditional until a satisfactory police security clearance is obtained and confirmed. Employment with SAIT will not commence until the results have been provided and confirmed.
SAIT’s vision is to be a global leader in applied education