This position is primarily for providing coordination of the BESC health and safety program, administrative support to the H&S Committee and administrative support to the BESC executive assistant. This position may also provide support to the Finance Department and the Regional Emergency Manager (REM)as required.
Hours of work: 21 hours per week (Flex time) Monday, Tuesday, and Friday
Term of Employment: 2 years contract position
Pay Scale: To be negotiated
H&S Administrator Key Responsibilities:
· Provide support to H&S Committee, H&S Representatives, and district fire chiefs.
· Responsible for the daily administration of the H&S Program.
· Maintain a current knowledge of health and safety literature, regulations, and codes of practice.
· Develop and monitor the Health and Safety budget in consultation with H&S Committee and Administration.
· Meet with H&S Committee and Administration to discuss policy or procedure concerns and refinements.
· In conjunction with the H&S Committee coordinate/participate in annual internal audits of the H&S program.
· In conjunction with the H&S Committee coordinate/assist in external audits, as needed.
· Regularly review and summarize the various inspections from all fire departments and head office.
· Regularly lead the review and implement revisions to the BESC health and safety manual, at the direction of the H&S Committee.
· Participate in and record minutes of the H&S Committee meetings
· Assist the Co-chairs of the H&S Committee as required.
· When requested, help the staff and firefighters understand the H&S program including their responsibilities.
Other Health and Safety responsibilities:
· Coordinate the creation and completion of any required documents (hazard assessments and safety sheets).
· Ensure required training is carried out and documented.
· In conjunction with Administration coordinate the purchase of approved Personal Protective Equipment
· Work with H&S Committee to establish schedules of inspection and ensure corrective action is taken whenever deficiencies are identified.
· Assist Administration with emergency preparedness.
· Assist H&S Representatives with incident investigations, analysis, and reporting.
· Review incident reports received and where necessary assist with determining causes of incidents and corrective action in conjunction with the H&S Committee.
· Ensure results from incident reports are communicated to the H&S Committee and fire departments.
· Work with fire departments and administration to ensure accidents are reported immediately including proper and timely submission of WCB forms and other related paperwork.
· Reception duties – answer phones, manages in-coming and out-going mail, issue fire permits
· Edits, formats, and proofreads documents and presentations.
· Provides administrative support to the Executive Assistant, as required.
· Administrative filing, records management, and general office duties, as required.
· Other duties as directed by the Executive Assistant.
· Enter data pertaining to inventory, training records, asset management and incident statistics
· Duties are typically carried out at the BESC office during regular working hours.
· H&S Committee meetings and functions and BESC board meeting are usually held in the evening at the BESC office or district fire stations.
· Travel required to conduct H&S functions at district fire stations.
· Knowledge of OHS Act, Regulations and Code
· National Construction Safety Officer (NSCO) Certification
· Administrative Assistant Certificate or equivalent education.
· Intermediate to advanced skills with MS Office including MS Office Access
Minimum of 3 years in a similar role.
Reference ID: BESC 2021-001
Contract length: 24 months
Part-time hours: 21 per week
Application deadline: 2021-09-17
Job Types: Part-time, Contract
- Secondary School (required)
- administrative assistant: 3 years (preferred)
- HSE: 1 year (required)