The primary role of the Estimator is to be accountable for the preparation of labour and material estimates and to ensure that change orders initiated during the life of projects are effectively estimated and coordinated. As a secondary role the Estimator will assist in the preparation of estimates, on an as-needed basis.
- Prepares labour and material estimates along with all change orders as directed; based on accurate evaluations of owner-supplied specifications, terms and conditions, detailed or outline specifications, drawings, sketches, or following verbal instructions. This involves soliciting pricing from suppliers, consulting with personnel, contractors, regulatory bodies and trades, and applying general and specific knowledge of the work to be performed gained from past experience and analysis, to determine man-hour and material requirements and calculate the overall costs for the project.
- Communicates with owners/customer representatives and Project Managers prior to, throughout and during projects, to ensure a clear understanding of the scope of work and to identify other potential work arising from the project.
- Researches specialized products, equipment and systems, by locating and/or comparing sources, providing the supply chain management with the relevant information and requests, and obtaining pertinent information and cost. Assesses the suitability of the item for the project at hand.
- Assesses scope and practicality of specifications and owner expectations by reviewing, discussing and clarifying details, and incorporating specification amendments to ensure the estimate is accurate and complete.
- Provides the Operations Manager and team with summaries for estimated labour and material and overviews of work content, including work requiring special consideration with regard to complexity, time requirements, and non-availability of products or services.
- Investigates and makes recommendations for cost savings for change order work.
- Maintains positive relationships with customers through pre-and post-contract communication, ensuring that customers are completely satisfied.
Education and Experience
- Completion of Grade 12 education, plus a Post-secondary Degree from a recognized technical institution or trade certification.
- A minimum of 8 years experience in an estimating role related to the Steel Fabrication industry.
Skills and Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Demonstration of exemplary business ethics, integrity, confidentiality and honesty in all situations.
- Excellent communication skills in the English language, both verbal and written, including knowledge of correct Steel Fabrication terminology.
- A strong sense of customer service orientation.
- Excellent analytical, mathematical, problem solving, decision-making, negotiating, and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to prepare accurate estimates. Ability to read technical drawings and interpret contract and tender documentation requirements.
- Ability to be able to transfer knowledge and experience to less experienced or less knowledgeable person.
- Knowledge of safety practices and procedures.
- Excellent time management and works well under pressure.
- Experience in AutoCAD.
- Experience with Microsoft Project.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and the Internet.
Interested applicants can apply online
Job Type: Full-time