The Salvation Army is an international Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
Position Purpose Summary: The Director of Community Services provides oversights for the development, implementation and ongoing maintenance of community support programs, including Correctional and Justice Services, Community & Family Services as well as seasonal programs such as Toy Mountain and the Kettle Campaign. This position also provides oversight to the procurement of products and donations to off-set annual operating costs of Ottawa Booth Centre.
- Develops programs and services in consultation with all key stakeholders, internal and external, including clients ensuring both agency and community needs are met
- Oversees the implementation of programs and services by following the approved, agreed upon guidelines set by the Salvation Army and/or funders
- Ensures all program contractual requirements and deliverables are met
- Ensures, through each responsible manager, that all client documentation is complete, accurate, up-to-date, and recorded appropriately
- Provides advice to each responsible manager on program and client issues; may become directly involved if these issues become complex
- Works collaboratively with Salvation Army Railside to secure food shipments, and in conjunction with the Coordinator of Community and Family Services ensure these shipments are used to support the needs of Ottawa Booth Center clients as well as local Salvation Army Units and community partners
- Based on budget shortfalls, and in consultation with the Executive team, develop and set yearly financial and procurement goals for the Coordinator of Program Enhancement
- Ensure yearly program/service evaluation are conducted and reviewed for all responsible programs
- Prepares any necessary funding proposals in conjunction with the Executive Director and Program/Service Coordinators
- Ensures all required reports are provided to the Executive Director’s review before submission
- Ensures accurate and up to date statistics are maintained and reviewed for all applicable programs; analyzes and interprets this data to make informed decisions/changes regrading services
- Develops, implements and ensures regular review of applicable program policies and procedures ensuring they are designed and maintained to meet the Salvation Army standards, as well as providing a framework to supporting best possible outcomes for both agency and its clients
- Develops and implements a program/service evaluation process for applicable programs for the purpose of ensuring effective services/ministry in accordance with The Salvation Army Accreditation Standards
- Represents The Salvation Army Ottawa Booth Centre by developing and maintaining contacts with other community agencies; including participation on community committees
- Participates with the rest of the Executive Team in the Salvation Army’s Accreditation process
- Active member of the Executive Team of the Ottawa Booth Centre
- Participates in the planning, developing and executing of the Ottawa Booth Centre strategic plan
- Ensures all applicable programs are in compliance with The Salvation Army Operating Policies, Accreditation Standards and Review Procedures, legislative requirements and funding expectations
- Provides supervision to direct reports ensuring they receive proper, regular, documented supervision, coaching, training and evaluation within their job description
- Conducts ongoing performance reviews for direct reports
- Supports the program managers in recruitment and selection process to fill any vacant positions in applicable programs, in accordance with Salvation Army polices and legislative requirements
- Supports the program manager, in consultation with the Employee Relations Director, on the implementation of progressive discipline up to and including termination, in accordance with Salvation Army policies and legislative requirements
FINANCIAL AND MATERIALS MANAGEMENT:
- Supervises and approves all financial transactions for applicable programs
- Ensures timely and accurate financial reporting is complete and submitted to funders
- Ensures that Accounting receives information required for monthly billing and other financial transactions when necessary
- Ensure accuracy and timely approval of direct reports work hours and in Ultipro payroll system and provides oversite to direct reports for same
- Works with the Director of Finance, with input from the direct reports, on applicable program budgets; collaborates with the Executive team, led by the Director of Finance, on the preparation the annual Ottawa Booth Centre budget
Reviews monthly financial statements and monitors budget on a regular basis for applicable programs
- Approved credit card authority
- Up to $2000 spending authority for program associated purchases
- May be required to manage difficult situations with stakeholders and/or clients
Experience and Skilled Knowledge Requirements:
- 1-3 years related experience managing a team in the not-for-profit sector – Food bank, corrections diversion environments and/or managing temporary projects and campaigns considered a strong asset
- 1-3 years’ experience building positive relationships with funding partners in the not-for-profit sector
Skills and Capabilities:
- Physical ability to carry out responsibilities and able to cope effectively with stress
- Proven ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality
- Able to coach, lead and motivate staff
- Possesses excellent written and verbal communication skills in English (bilingual an asset)
- Demonstrates organizational abilities
- Possesses a collaborative team approach with all managers and staff, creating a working climate that is positive and mutually supportive
- Bilingualism (French/English) considered a strong asset
Successful candidate will be required to provide upon hiring:
- A clear criminal record check
- Participate in our online Armatus Abuse Training and Health and Safety training required upon hiring, as well as updated annually
HOURS: 40 hours per week. Monday to Friday 8:00am – 4:30pm
SALARY: $35.10 per hour
Interested applicants are asked to contact Employee Relations Department by July 20, 2020
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Internal Applicants, please advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
Reference ID: 23/20
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- experience building relationships with funding partners: 1 year (Required)
- related experience managing a team in non profit sector: 1 year (Required)