The assistant controller will be responsible for all financial matters of the business. They will report directly to the accounting manager and VP of Finance. The right candidate will need to be able to work independently and will need to have drive and accountability. They will be responsible for all aspects of accounting including, but not limited to, bookkeeping, assistance to our US accountant and some payroll functions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Bookkeeping including, but not limited to entering supplier invoices, customer invoices, journal entries, bank reconciliations and loan balancing
- Financial reporting and variance analysis.
- Monitoring of all financial activities to ensure proper coding and timing into the GL.
- Assistance to our US accountant with queries and general accounting issues.
- Preparation of cheques and daily bank deposits.
- Prepare and maintain proper filing of all required documents.
- Assist month-end file to be discussed and reviewed with Accounting Manager.
- Assist Accounting Manager with year-end working paper file to be submitted to year-end auditors.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s of Commerce Degree in accounting or finance and/or 3-5 years equivalent experience.
- Professional designation (CPA, CA, CMA, CGA) is an asset.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in an assistant controller or cost accountant role.
- Thorough technical skills and experience regarding applicable accounting standards.
- Proficiency with Microsoft programs.
- Proficiency with accounting/manufacturing software such as Job Boss.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills that will allow candidate to thrive in a team environment.
- Must be able to demonstrate sensitivity, objectivity, confidentiality, good judgment and professionalism when handling all personnel and financial related issues.
- Knowledge of Accounting Standards for Private Enterprises (ASPE).
- Willingness to work overtime as needed.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $55,000.00 to $65,000.00 /year