A First Nation Client located in Deroche British Columbia is seeking to expand their accounting team
The accountant contributes to the success of the Administration by managing finances on a day-to-day basis, ensuring accuracy and timeliness, and assisting the external bookkeeper on an ongoing basis. This position is responsible for processing Accounts Receivables (AR), Accounts Payables (AP), preparing bank deposits, and processing payroll on a weekly basis. The Finance Administrator also acts as the benefits and pension administrator for the Administration. This position supervises an accounting clerk who is responsible for the day-to-day preparation of payroll and accounts payable.
Finance and Accounting
- Supervise and Process invoices and employee and Chief and Council reimbursements on a weekly basis and prepare cheques for appropriate signatures and distribution.
- Enter data and post all transactions to the general ledger, accurately coding information and entering it into the system in a timely manner.
- Process petty cash on an as needed basis
- Maintain accurate financial records including all invoices and audit files.
- Assist with the preparation of Administration’s budget.
- Prepare for Financial Reports for the General Manager upon request
- Assist departments to fulfill financial reporting for various funding programs (E.g. Income assistance, post-
secondary programs, etc.)
- Prepare distributions to members including K-12 education distributions and annual distributions.
Payroll and Benefits/Pension
- Supervise and Process payroll on a bi-weekly basis; compile payroll information and ensure accuracy and completeness of information, and that payroll related transactions are processed in compliance with internal policies and external legislation. Enter hours, pay adjustments, and benefit information. Ensure taxable benefits are correct, and requested deductions are made.
- Maintain payroll records.
- Perform year-end payroll procedures and produceT4 slips.
- Prepare Record of Employment (ROE) for employees as requested.
- Ensure tax remittances are made correctly and within required time frames.
- Prepare WCB remittances on a quarterly and annual basis.
- Process enrollments, terminations, and changes to benefits and pension plans and maintain accurate records.
- Prepare pension remittances.
- Process annual applications to Indigenous Services Canada (ISC) for First Nation
Employee Benefits program, and to the Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions (OFSI)
All other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Analytical and solution-oriented
- Experience in payroll. accounts receivables and payables
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel; experience working with an integrated accounting
- Knowledge of applicable legislation and regulations related to accounting, payroll, and taxes
TRAINING, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE
- Degree, or diploma in accounting or relevant work experience
Experience preparing and managing expense and cash budgets
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience
- Extended health care
- Vision care
- Disability insurance
- Company pension
- Life insurance
- Dental care
- Flexible working hours
- Education reimbursement
- Parental leave
- On-site parking
- Company events & social hours
- Employee assistance programs
- Vacation & paid time off
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- First Nation Accounting: 5 years (Preferred)
- accounting: 5 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)