Manager, Lifestyle Fitness
At Vivo we are a charitable enterprise on a mission to raise healthier generations in Calgary and beyond. We want Canadians of all ages to achieve their optimal health at home, school, work and play. We’re creating local, evidence-based solutions to support individuals and whole communities be more active and connected by charting a course to make 10% shifts - shifts in people’s lifestyles, shifts in the care and design of communities and shifts in decision making at organizational and government levels.
With the support of new experiences and innovative built environments created with and for the community, their success stories will be proof of our mission in action. They’ll serve as powerful motivation for others, in Calgary and across the nation, to make their own changes for life.
As Manager, Lifestyle Fitness, you are responsible for the co-creation, development, resourcing, delivery, evaluation, performance and evolution of all Lifestyle Fitness experiences (fitness centre, skating, climbing and group fitness activities). You will co-create and connect with our customers, community and employees in ways that are impactful in driving and advancing our cause. You will re-imagine, oversee and evolve all aspects of the lifestyle fitness offerings and bring Vivo experiences to life. You’ll lead with empathy, provide inspiration, encourage innovation, and build accountability and capacity in the team to deliver strong results and impact.
Reports to: Programs & Service Director
- Oversee, evolve and provide leadership and direction to the fitness consultants, skating, climbing and fitness instructors in the form of talent acquisition, training, performance management, team in-services and training.
- Develop, monitor and evaluate work-plans and performance targets for the lifestyle fitness team (fitness centre, skating, climbing and group fitness activities).
- Empower and hold the lifestyle fitness team accountable for achieving established work-plans and targets through the regular follow-up, feedback and coaching.
- Recruit, onboard, train, coach and performance manage the team utilizing Human Resources best practices to ensure a high-performing team.
- Perform regular scheduling and payroll to the 40+ leas, lifestyle, fitness consultants and instructors (fitness, skating and climbing).
- Co-create, collaborate, and foster healthy teamwork amongst programs and services managers in order to develop strong experiences for the community.
- Champion the Vivo instructor certification including, providing mentoring, facilitation of training and on-going evaluation.
- Lead day to day fitness centre operations, climbing wall, skating and dryland activities by creating meaningful touchpoints for the customer’s journey, maintaining health and safety standards, first aid incidents, equipment inventory and ordering.
- Re-imagine lifestyle fitness services-build, evolve and implement intentional and unique services for adults and families that includes baseline and progress reporting, personalized solutions that can be done at Vivo, home, work, school or play.
- Lead and develop business cases for the design and implementation of play based and curriculum-based learning experiences for lifestyle fitness offerings.
- Own the lifestyle fitness budget and understand and monitor key components that influence targets and revenue generation.
- Assess, revise, and revamp operational policies, procedures and training manuals for all lifestyle fitness areas to ensure they are aligned and support the new business model and team practices.
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge and understanding of programming development, software and inputting requirements, including: marketing timelines, inputting timelines, pricing strategies, program inputting into software, program documentation and review (i.e. 1stdraft of program guide), feedback and editing, bookings timelines, sharing and developing experiences with other teams (i.e. in-services with other teams), community collaborations, and equipment and contract budgeting.
- Perform lifestyle fitness experience evolutions including managing waitlists, course transfers and attendance sheet distribution, course maintenance, drop-in programming, webpage administration and facility maintenance requests lifestyle fitness services.
- Build strong relationships and co-create with our lifestyle fitness audience to determine their needs and what they value in play experiences and translate learnings to the team to test and implement the overall customer experience.
- Participate in re-imagining the lifestyle fitness experience development process through a service design thinking lens with the team and then implement and build capacity in the lifestyle fitness team to do the same.
- Explore, experiment, build, implement and measure new ways of building play based/ spontaneous and curriculum-based experiences as well as social, inclusive, learning environments for lifestyle fitness.
- Seek out and explore trends and practices. Ex: experience and place making for healthy living/fitness based environments, new ways of experience delivery, equipment lifecycles and maintenance, etcand recommend solutions.
- Implement and integrate learnings and evolutions into team’s work in “real time” as a result of experimentation and testing.
- Present ideas, research, and recommendations to leadership team through strong communication in the form of verbal presentations, business cases, and facilitation of meetings.
- Champion Vivo at special events i.e. everybody plays, open house, community events,
- Post-Secondary Diploma and/or University Degree in Kinesiology or a relative fitness field with AFLCA or Can Fit Pro or Personal Training
- Minimum 3 years of leadership and supervisory experience and Customer and Social experiences
- Proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR-C/AED certifications
- Police Information Clearance within the past 3 years for current staff and 6 months for new staff.
We thank all candidates for their interest in VIVO. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
This opportunity will remain active until a candidate is hired.
Job Type: Full-time
- Microsoft Office: 5 years (Required)
- Personal Training: 5 years (Required)
- Secondary School (Required)
- First Aid & CPR Level C (Required)
- Kinesiology (Required)
- AFLCA (Required)
- AED - Automated External Defibrillator (Required)
- CanFit Pro (Required)