From everyday staples to gourmet specialties, Yummy Market is a European retail grocer located in the GTA that offers a unique shopping experience. In a true European tradition, our passion for wholesome, made from scratch foods combined with our commitment to offer great value is the driving force behind everything we do.
We are currently looking for the following position at our North York location (4400 Dufferin Street, Toronto, ON): COOK - FULL TIME(European Style cooking)
- Inspect food preparation and serving areas to ensure observance of safe, sanitary food-handling practices
- Season and cook food according to recipes or personal judgment and experience.
- Observe and test foods to determine if they have been cooked sufficiently, using methods such as tasting, smelling, or piercing them with utensils.
- Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients according to recipes or personal judgment, using various kitchen utensils and equipment.
- Portion, arrange, and garnish food, and serve food to waiters or patrons.
- Regulate temperature of ovens, broilers, grills, and roasters.
- Substitute for or assist other cooks during emergencies or rush periods.
- Bake, roast, broil, and steam meats, fish, vegetables, and other foods.
- Wash, peel, cut, and seed fruits and vegetables to prepare them for consumption.
- Estimate expected food consumption; then requisition or purchase supplies, or procure food from storage.
- Carve and trim meats such as beef, veal, ham, pork, and lamb for hot or cold service, or for sandwiches.
- Consult with supervisory staff to plan menus, taking into consideration factors such as costs and special event needs.
- Butcher and dress animals, fowl, or shellfish, or cut and bone meat prior to cooking.
- Bake breads, rolls, cakes, and pastries.
- Prepare relishes and hors d'oeuvres.
- Keep records and accounts.
- Post-secondary education in culinary management would be an asset.
- 2 years of experience as a cook is preferred.
- Detailed-oriented, must be able to carefully follow recipes from scratch
- Excellent time management skills, must be able to get product out in a timely manner
- Able to work flexible hours
- Applicants may be asked to demonstrate their cooking abilities, their knife-work skills and their abilities to create food from scratch
Thank you for your interest in joining Yummy Market. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Yummy Market is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). If you require accommodation for disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources.
Job Type: Full-time
- European cooking: 2 years (Preferred)
- AEC / DEP or Skilled Trade Certificate (Preferred)
- North York, ON (Preferred)