ATB Capital Markets is a wholly owned subsidiary of ATB Financial, an Alberta-based institution with offices in Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto and Denver. Together, we represent a highly specialized team of experts who provide a full suite of financial service solutions including:
- Advice on mergers and acquisitions, divestiture and private equity
- Equity capital, Debt capital and financial markets
- Corporate banking, loan syndications and project finance
- Institutional sales and trading
- Institutional research to leverage industry and sector insight
Job Number: REQ2641
Location: Calgary, AB
Apply by: October 18, 2021
# Positions available: 1
As ATB’s Head Investment Banking, you will lead the building of a specialized practice within a specific sector of the broad business segment. This role would be responsible for investment banking business development and management of a strategic marketing effort within the investment banking niche; development of new and management of existing relationships with CEOs, CFOs, other senior executives and board members; ongoing identification, origination and execution of merger & acquisition and capital raising (full balance sheet) transactions; design and coordination of presentations, transaction related documents and analyses in collaboration with junior level members of the firm. Your responsibilities will also include the coordination of a broader team to develop and execute on a sector or product strategy.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
- Set the strategic direction for Investment Banking team that aligns with Senior Executive and Corporate vision;
- Position will manage the Investment Banking group;
- Expectations that this position will be a “Player/Coach” and will assist in revenue generation of the organization. Will assist in creating and managing deal flow and origination of new and existing client engagements that fit the segment and sector strategy of the firm;
- Participate in key client meetings and continue to foster critical client relationships;
- Establish and maintain relationships with potential referral sources in order to generate deal flow opportunities;
- Assist in or lead a variety of transactions in all stages, from initial client pitch to transaction closing;
- Able to work in a fully integrated model with Corporate Banking and other business units in ATB;
- Accountable for ensuring cross selling initiatives are part of regular daily activity
- Ensure teams operate within Regulatory compliance (IIROC/FINRA);
- Communicate regulatory, financial information and complex strategic issues in a clear, concise
and relevant manner to assist and guide decision-makers in corporate finance transactions;
- Ensure quality of client deliverables by demonstrating extraordinary attention to detail;
- Maintain and manage client relationships and be actively involved at the key strategic points of each transaction;
- Guide and manage execution teams on day-to-day work and execution of deals;
- Provide leadership, and mentoring for Managing Directors, Director, Vice President, Associate and Analyst staff;
- Serve as internal and external thought leader by participating in key industry conferences, publishing thought pieces in web logs, being interviewed by journalists and trade journals, and other avenues to generate exposure and build brand
10 - 15 years of experience at boutique or investment bank with demonstrable sector coverage and M&A execution experience;
- Ability to make effective decisions by analyzing information and considering priorities;
- Demonstrated experience with managing day to day aspects of client relationships and projects;
- Demonstrated record of achievement and effective management in matrixed organizations;
- Deep understanding of the capital marketplace, including deal multiples, pricing, structure,
potential financing sources and buyers, and an ability to develop capital-raising strategies and execute upon those strategies;
- Thorough understanding of capital advisory services and the M&A process, complex debt/equity/distressed restructurings, creating buyer/seller strategies, deal structuring and negotiation;
- Significant client interaction and experience, particularly showing the ability to develop strong and influential client relationships;
- Demonstrated ability to manage and direct an Investment Banking team;
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Finance, Accounting or Economics or an MBA; and
- IIROC and FINRA registrations (79/24). If not in place, must be completed within 6 months of taking the position.
Purpose. Growth. Advancement. Fun. Rewards… learn about our perks and benefits.
A little about ATB:
We are Alberta’s largest, home grown financial institution and for the last 80+ years, we’ve transformed people’s understanding of what banking can–and should–make possible. Today, 5,500+ ATB team members embrace a growth mindset in order to help bring ATB’s story to life, delivering happiness to our customers and team members alike. It’s why we’re also a highly sought after, award-winning employer. The best part is, we’re just getting started. Join us, and create happiness.
To learn more about atb, visit atb.com.
What happens next?
If you are shortlisted for this opportunity, you will hear from us after the posting close date regarding next steps. We will also keep your application on file for future roles.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Find out more about what to expect when applying.
Stay in touch!
ATB is happy to know you’re interested in a career with us! Follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook and Instagram to get the inside scoop on what our team is up to.