Department: IMMIGRANT SERVICES
Hours: 25 hours per month – Weekend (Saturday) work required
To organize, coordinate and invite weekly get-togethers where female newcomers to Canada can gather for cross-cultural interaction in support of knowledge transfer; awareness through group activities; supporting language learning through informal coaching and practice in a Conversation Circle setting; and, connecting clients with local support networks and mainstream organizations.
Note: Due to many of the clients being from gender segregated cultures, the individual hired for this position must be the same gender as the clients.
- Plan weekly meetings with the intent to nurture cross-cultural information and awareness, practice English, and increase knowledge of our local community and Canadian culture.
- Work with Community Connections Volunteers.
- Complete all required paperwork.
- Maintain weekly communication with supervisor.
- Attend all required training sessions.
- A female* with undergraduate degree and/or diploma and/or TESL/TEFL/TESOL Diploma and/or relevant experience in working with individuals with linguistic and cultural differences; experience working/volunteering with newcomers is highly desirable.
- Self-directed, highly motivated and creative, with excellent organizational skills.
- Possess above average interpersonal skills.
- Have a reliable vehicle, valid driver’s license and be willing to assist with transportation.
- Willing to commit one (1) year to the position.
The successful candidate will be required to provide a Police Information Check
Job Type: Part-time
- Newcomer: 1 year (Preferred)
- Driver's Licence (Required)