Embrace a career in the public service with the Ministry of Transportation's entry-level Transportation Technician initiative.
What can I expect to do in this role?
- Receive practical, multi-functional learning experiences through rotational assignments as ministry determines in many technical disciplines, including construction, highway design, maintenance, traffic, surveys;
- Work independently and as a team member;
- Benefit from on-the-job and classroom training;
- Work with state-of-the-art technology;
- Enjoy career development opportunities with offices across the province and competitive salaries and benefits.
For additional information, please visit our web page for the
Transportation Technician Initiative.
- Depending on work assignment, work hours may occur outside of normal business hours, during nights and on weekends.
- Travel within the region and temporary relocation may be required. For additional information on regional boundaries, please clickhere.
The location of the positions is at 347 Preston Rd., Ottawa: however, pending the results of the competition, consideration will be given to the successful candidate to allow him/her to work at either 1355 John Counter Blvd, Kingston or 50 Monck St, Bancroft or 347 Preston Rd., Ottawa (depending on the location of the successful candidate and operational needs).
How do I qualify?
Knowledge & Technical Skills:
- The position requires the successful candidate to have a valid G licence or equivalent. The offer of employment is conditional upon the successful candidate providing proof that s/he has a valid driver's licence upon being hired.
- You have demonstrated knowledge of highway engineering design, maintenance and contract administration (normally acquired through a diploma in civil engineering technology or related experience)
- You have math skills to complete calculations in engineering survey, design calculation and estimating quantities
- You have computer skills, including AutoCAD to prepare computerized designs/-plans/-stats and word processing/spreadsheet software to produce variety of correspondence, reports and presentations
- You have demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills to assess data, clarify data integrity, identify design/construction problems, analyze traffic capacity and collision stats and recommend solutions/modifications as required
- You have excellent oral and written communication skills to explain ministry standards/design requirements to other technical areas and contract administrators, to discuss maintenance problems and emergency road situations
- You have interpersonal skills to work with other project members in a team environment
2 Permanent, 347 Preston, Ottawa, East Region or 1355 John Counter Blvd, Kingston, East Region or 50 Monck St, Bancroft, East Region
Ontario Public Service Employees Union
Understanding the job ad - definitions
Maintenance and Trades
Friday, March 6, 2020