Thisposition requires the skills and/or ability to learn the skills, practices, andprocedures of landscape management and maintenance. Qualified applicant willhave a strong desire to care for plants and plant collections in a world classbotanical garden setting. Must possess good communication and team work skills. Experience with native Hawaiian plants, edible crops and/or display gardens a plus.
- General Plant Collection Maintenance: water, fertilize, weed, prune, and stake plants. Willing and able to apply organic and chemical fertilizers. Able to evaluate needs of plants and make recommendations on improving garden plant care practices.
- Operate a variety of garden power tools including lawn mowers, weed eaters, chainsaws, hedge trimmers and others.
- Practice good planting practices, and remove plants as needed. Monitor new plantings to ensure the highest survival rate possible.
- Perform lawn maintenance by mowing and/or weed eating.
- Keep collections weed free and pest free as possible through applied Integrated Pest Management practices when feasible. When necessary must be able willing to apply herbicides and pesticides
- Control weeds in landscaped and other designated areas through physical, mechanical and chemical methods.
- Keep all areas of the garden looking neat and well kept and debris free.
- Maintain all garden tools and vehicles responsibly, and in a safe manner. Must keep tools and vehicles clean and in good working order.
- Assist visitors, researchers and other garden guests as needed.
- Carry out other tasks as assigned by garden management.
Blue Fin Steel Corp is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all qualified team members and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, physical and/or mental disability, genetic information, atypical cellular or blood trait, marital and/or familial status, pregnancy, gender identity and expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Salary: $13.70 to $14.85 /hour
- Secondary School (Preferred)
- St. Catharines, ON (Required)