Career Opportunity: Legal Assistant – Family Law & Civil Litigation
As our business continues to grow we are looking for a key individual to fill a permanent Legal Assistant support position in our Family Law & Civil Litigation area.
Job Requirements include:
- Preparation of court documents, and drafting correspondence
- Booking appointments, setting discovery and trial dates
- Organize files, client documents and binders
- Setting court dates, mediations, discoveries, hearings and communicating with registries;
- Tracking court dates and limitation dates;
- Assisting with and arranging the preparation of court applications, trial briefs and memos;
- Maintaining an efficient file management and bring forward system;
- Maintaining a full calendar, email management and managing lawyers’ practice;
- Understanding of BC civil litigation practices and procedures, with an emphasis on family law;
- Familiarity with BC Supreme Court Civil Rules and BC Supreme Court Family Rules;
- Perform other related duties as required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Completion of a recognized Legal Assistant program is required.
- Minimum 2 years of experience as a Legal Assistant
- 1-3+ years experience in the area of Family Law is an asset.
- Must be proficient with litigation procedures and the Rules of Court
- Strong knowledge of basic legal concepts, principles, and terminology
- Must have strong client service skills;
- Excellent word processing and proofreading skills;
- Must be highly organized, detail-oriented and have ability to multi-task & prioritize;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Ability to creatively solve problems, make decisions, facilitate and manage deadlines;
- Strong communication skills;
- Experience with programs such as Worldox, BC Online, and Aderant are an asset.
We reward your commitment and efforts with a competitive Total Compensation program, an annual Bonus program, monthly Wellness credits and personal learning and Professional Development opportunities. We also offer a comprehensive benefit package which includes Extended Health and Dental, a Health Spending Account, and a matching RSP program. Apply in confidence via email with resume to Lisa Blue, Human Resources Advisor
Job Type: Full-time
- litigation: 1 year (Preferred)
- Legal Assistant: 1 year (Preferred)