Coast Mental Health (Coast) is one of the largest mental health non-profit societies in Canada, and operates a large array of innovative housing and community based rehabilitation services for people with a mental illness living in and around Vancouver. Coast operates in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia providing approximately 1000 people with supportive housing and 4000 clients living in the community with a wide variety of programs and services.
Coast fosters a client-driven, recovery-oriented environment that promotes restoring health, personal growth and a return to society for individuals with a mental illness through advocacy and providing direct programs and services.
In a manner consistent with the Coast’s mission, philosophy, policies and objectives and under the direction of the Director of Housing Services, this position is responsible for the food services, such as meal preparation and serving and clean up, and engaging the clients and working in conjunction with all the staff and performs administrative functions in the project.
1.Cleans, washes, and disinfects specified units such as walls, windows, ceilings, floors, and washrooms.
2.Collects and removes garbage, and ensures the safe disposal of hazardous materials.
3.Performs laundry duties such as washing, linens and clothing.
4.Monitors and reports pest issues
5.Suite preparations for pest sprays
6.Completes and maintains related records and documents such as logs.
7.Performs other related duties as assigned
A Grade 12 education and Short Order cook certificate or equivalent experience and education are required.
You must have a Ministry of Justice Criminal Records Clearance, Foodsafe and WHMIS.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Ability to work with people with a mental illness.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently and in cooperation with others.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Ability to organize and prioritize.
- Ability to establish and maintain rapport with clients.
- Ability to observe and recognize changes in clients.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to prepare and update monthly menu plan based on established master menus.
- Ability to observe clients and their environments, and report unsafe conditions behavioral, physical and cognitive changes to the appropriate staff.
- We believe in the person, not the disease.
- We operate client-centered care under the principles of psychosocial rehabilitation.
- There is a variety of work within a particular position and within the organization.
- We strive to be the best that we can be.
- We hold Exemplary Status accreditation through Accreditation Canada.
- We have won numerous awards for our innovative programming.
- We care about our employees, and believe in living our values and culture throughout the organization.
***Employees of Coast must apply within seven days of the posting date with their internal account (Coast email address registered) to be considered as an internal applicant. Current Coast employees who apply to this posting using external accounts or after the 7 day deadline will be considered as external candidates. Seniority will not apply.***
Coast Mental Health is committed to creating a culture of diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to age, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion or disability.