The Upper Grand District School Board’s 3,000 plus dedicated teaching and support staff provide student success to over 35,000 students who attend our 65 elementary schools and 11 secondary schools in the City of Guelph, County of Wellington and County of Dufferin. The UGDSB covers the ancestral and traditional territories of the Mississaugas of the Credit, the Six Nations of the Grand River, and Saugeen Ojibway Nation Territories.
We are accepting applications from qualified applicants for our Educational Assistant (EA) casual supply list to fill in for absent EA’s on an as-needed basis and for short-term, temporary positions in both the Elementary and Secondary English and French Immersion Programs. The Board requires EA’s to work in all geographical areas of the Board including North Wellington, Centre Wellington, East Wellington, Guelph, Orangeville, Dufferin County and Shelburne. Educational Assistants must possess willingness, along with the physical ability, to work with all of our students who have many diverse needs.
$25.06 per hour plus vacation pay. While there is no guarantee of hours per week as this is a casual position, a casual employee with full availability could work full-time (up to 32.5 hours per week) depending on need.
Casual EA supply list employees with the Board may have opportunity to apply for vacant permanent or long-term positions as they arise, with possible consideration over external applicants to the job posting.
Educational assistants work with students with many diverse needs. This work provides support for the behaviour, safety, medical and physical needs of a student. Duties may include lifting, toileting, positioning and transferring children and equipment and application of BMS. Educational assistants work with students both individually and/or in a group setting.
Preference will be given to candidates who have the following qualifications:
HOW TO APPLY:Please follow the steps below to submit your application:
- Educational Assistant Diploma, and/or a combination of formal education (fields related to the development of children and/or special education) and work experience deemed equivalent by the Board
- Post-Secondary Degree/Diploma in a related field of study
- A valid Behaviour Management Systems certification is considered an asset
- Proven ability and recent experience in working with students with special needs and behavioural disabilities is strongly preferred and school-based experience is a definite asset
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Training
- Lifting/Positioning Training
- Flexibility, patience, empathy and the ability to work closely with students with complex needs, classroom teacher, parents and Administration
- Candidates must be capable of performing the essential physical duties of the position, such as lifting, positioning and transferring children and equipment and utilizing BMS techniques where required
- Access to a reliable method of transportation and ability to attend specific schools
1. Complete and include the EA Application form - download the Application form here:
2. Provide a personal resume that is no longer than 2 pages in length (only a resume; no cover letter and no references)
3. Include any relevant supporting educational and/or training documentation including your Behaviour Management Systems certificate (if you have obtained it)
4. Submit your complete application including all of the pieces above in step 1 to 3; make sure to specify ‘Job Code 20EASPA22’ in the subject line.
Successful external candidates will be required to provide an original Criminal Record Check, including a Vulnerable Sector Screening, prior to the commencement of employment. The CRC must be dated within 6 months of the date of acceptance of employment.
Interviews for the Educational Assistant Supply List will be conducted on an ongoing basis. While we thank all applicants for their interest, we wish to advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Accommodations are available during all phases of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance to the Manager of Wellness and Employee Health.
The Upper Grand District School Board is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information and other employment opportunities available, please visit our website at: www.ugdsb.ca