Who We Are
Since 1969, the Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention Centre of BC has been dedicated to providing help and hope to individuals, organizations, and communities. Spanning the spectrum of crisis support, suicide prevention, and postvention, we engage staff and volunteers in a variety of services and programs that educate, train, and support the strength and capacity of individuals and communities. We offer:
- Immediate access to barrier-free non-judgemental, confidential support and follow-up to youth, adults, and seniors through our 24/7 phone lines and online services; and
- Education and training programs that promote mental wellness and equip schools, organizations, and communities to support people at risk of suicide.
Our technology stack reflects the strong need for uptime, security, and resiliency, yet we work within an extremely limited budget and push our physical assets to their limit. As a member of the Crisis Centre's IT staff you'll be expected to monitor system health, troubleshoot hardware and software issues, and communicate the resolution in a timely manner to those staff and volunteers providing these critical services. Excellent communication skills and a quickness to troubleshoot and implement fixes is required - downtime in this line of work can have a critical impact to the lives of those we serve.
You will manage and take ownership of the Crisis Centre’s full hardware and software stack and report to the Executive Director and be part of the Centre’s Senior Management Team.
Who You Are
You’re experienced and competent with systems administration and want to give back to your community while touching some cool technology! You’re a problem solver, a self-starter, and you like to get your hands dirty working with the latest tech while looking for ways to squeeze out that extra bit of performance. You’re familiar with VMWare, GSuite, LAN, SAN and WLAN networking and high availability concepts, have great documentation skills, and can quickly diagnose and repair hardware, application, and networking issues as needed. You’re comfortable taking charge and leading initiatives and motivated to innovate within a limited operating budget. You don’t shy away from the command line, aren’t afraid of Linux, and love to learn.
The Crisis Centre’s Systems Administrator will be responsible for the daily maintenance and support of our IT infrastructure including virtual and physical server infrastructure, storage, network, security, backup and disaster recovery, user endpoints, and telephony. The systems administrator must be comfortable providing daily support as well as providing continual input on areas of improvement and participating in projects.
- Maintain and support the Crisis Centre’s IT infrastructure across all areas and departments, both on-prem and in the cloud
- Provide server, storage, backup, software, web app, and network administration and excellent technical support service
- Manage SaaS, GCP, Azure stack and related vendor relationships
- Manage and monitor key critical systems across on-premise and cloud environments for reliability, performance and uptime
- Act as a technical lead to implement new technology initiatives as decided by the Management Team and provide key technical input on the feasibility of proposals
- Drive adoption of new technology as it makes sense for the Crisis Centre’s business operations and unique privacy and public availability requirements
- Refine existing infrastructure for better use of funds and enhanced scalability and uptime
- Provide guidance and supervision for one part-time helpdesk support staff
- Analyze security events to identify potential problems, and maintain visibility on new vulnerabilities and threats
- Monitor, troubleshoot, and resolve system events from central scanning server and take action as needed, using this information to highlight larger problems
- Monitor network and system health closely ensuring no disruption from routine maintenance tasks
- Monitor, troubleshoot, and resolve issues with local backups and replication as well as offsite replication, and provide testing
- Work with the IT team to monitor, review, and deploy patches across servers, workstations, hardware, and third-party applications
- Oversee workstation deployment and replacement schedules and configure, maintain, and troubleshoot end-user devices
- Manage Assets, including deployment checkout and check-in procedures, labelling, and physical organization
- Maintain helpdesk software and monitor, respond to, and resolve helpdesk tickets as assigned
- Assist in employee and volunteer onboard and offboarding activities across a wide spectrum of applications and web services
- From time-to-time, manage a group of IT volunteers or It related temporary staff
- Strong troubleshooting ability
- Quick learner, self-starter, provides good documentation
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills - ability to translate complex technical information into user-friendly terms
- Strong Microsoft and Linux systems administration experience including Server 2016+ and CentOS and Ubuntu linux administration
- Strong Microsoft server administration including CA, NPS, RADIUS, AD, DNS, GPO, scripting, and others
- Strong network administration skills and ability to manage switches and firewall technologies from Cisco, Fortinet, Sonicwall and Ubiquiti including SSLVPN, IPSEC, VLANs, routing, WLAN administration and more
- Experience with Google GSuite and Azure, GAM and Powershell management tools
- Experience with VMWare 6.5+ management, clustering and H/A
- SaaS and web administration (Trello, Wufoo, Wordpress, etc)
- VEEAM Backup and Replication including VEEAM Cloud Connect
- Familiarity administering, monitoring and maintaining a SAN environment
- SnipeIT Asset Management
- PRTG Network Monitoring experience
- Web management and administration experience (IIS, Apache)
- JIRA Service Desk exposure an asset
- Experience with LetsEncrypt an asset
- Salary range: $61,100 to $67,295
- 35-hour work week
- Competitive benefits package
- Professional development funds
- 3 weeks of vacation to start and flexible work arrangements including time in lieu for occasional evening/weekend requirements
- Start date to be discussed based on availability
We will accept your cover letter and resume via email only.
Submissions using automated indeed.ca profiles will not be accepted.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $61,000.00 to $67,295.00 /year
- system (IT) administration: 5 years (Preferred)
- Vancouver, BC (Preferred)